Tagged With: movies
This is a Thursday Thirteen that I’ve thought about for quite awhile. I knew I wanted to do this list because I’ve been thinking about it for so long now and I just really love movies. I really had to narrow it down and put the list into perspective. Then I really wanted to give good reasoning. This is MY list and how I feel. I’m sure as you read this, you might feel a little bit different. But here it goes from 13 down to 1….being the MOST overrated in Hollywood!!
13. Sarah Jessica Parker – A beautiful woman and top notch in fashion. Not the best actress though as it feels like she leaves something out when she acts.
12. Jennifer Lopez – Another beautiful woman that’s very talented. She always looks great and can sing fairly well too. However, I can take it or leave it when it comes to her movies. I think they’re usually sweet and funny, but she almost puts off a diva aura on screen.
11. Ingrid Bergman – She has some really good movies, but I don’t think they were consistently good. One of my favorites is a movie of hers, but she’s just not always believable.
10. Marlon Brando – I’m alright with the “bad boy” image. It was just something else that made me not want to watch his movies. Maybe it had to do with the voice….he sounded lazy when he talked. He still owned his part in The Godfather!!
9. Gary Cooper – I know that he was supposed to be such a good guy and very popular with movie-watchers. I just was never attracted to him. I actually found his acting to be a little boring.
8. Audry Hepburn – She was cute and sweet, as were many of her movies. I just don’t think that made her a good actress. I think she was in the right place at the right time and got to make a couple good movies, but more that were just average. During her time, there were several other great actresses on the screen that she couldn’t compare to.
7. Sophia Loren – I think she used her sexy body for all it was worth, but that’s all she had going for her. I never believed her parts that much and enjoyed them more when she wasn’t on the screen. I consider her “annoying”.
6. Hillary Swank – A very beautiful woman that always seems to smile. I just never find myself saying “hey, she’s got a new movie so let’s go see it”!! I think part of the problem is that she tries too hard to be sexy and honestly, she’s really pretty without trying to play it up.
5. Chevy Chase – As part of the Griswald family, he was hilarious. Then, he lost something. I think when he became political and could use his status as a star, he was no longer funny. He tried to play off that and it just didn’t work and he hasn’t put out anything good since that time.
4. Woody Allen – The only thing worse than a movie by him, is a movie WITH him!! He had no talent and definitely wasn’t funny. Sure, he has his own style, but it never developed and he’s way out in left field.
3. Will Ferrell – I find nothing funny about him. He thinks that he has to be rotten dirty in order to get a laugh and it’s just too far over the top. You don’t have to be raunchy to make it funny. I find him really quite creepy!!
2. Jane Fonda – She tried to make it off her daddy’s name and couldn’t do it. Her movies were lame at best. Talk about yawning through a movie!! Then she went all political and used star power to promote that. Pick one or the other, but both don’t work together and maybe she was better suited for politics because she can’t act!!
1. Natalie Portman – I know she’s the hot stuff today. I’m not impressed though. I think she’s fully capable of being more, but I just don’t see it. When I watch her movies, I often feel like she’s playing the same part in all of them. I’d love to see her try to grow more. Right now though, she’s at the top as most overrated and I think some of her parts could just as easy to other good actresses out there.
Honorable Mention: Greta Garbo – I don’t dislike her movies, I just don’t enjoy them. She had a style all her own and maybe that’s what it is….it’s just not my style. She could definitely own the screen, but at the same time, she doesn’t draw me in when I want her to or think she will.
So there’s my Thursday Thirteen!! Who’s on your list?? To participate, just go to the new home of Thursday Thirteen.
There is no man, especially movie star, that’s as American and as cowboy as John Wayne. He basically lived the life that he portrayed. He’s been my favorite since I was just a little kid. I grew up knowing that only the best men were like “the Duke”!! I decided that my entry back into the “Thursday Thirteen” world should be about him.
These are my 13 favorite John Wayne movies…..
1. The Shootist
2. The Searchers
3. The Cowboys
5. The Green Berets
6. She Wore a Yellow Ribbon
7. (TIE) The Fighting Seabees, Flying Leathernecks, and The Flying Tigers
8. 3 Godfathers
9. Red River
10. A Lady Takes a Chance
11. (TIE) Donovan’s Reef and North to Alaska
Yes, there’s so many more that could be on this list. But really, how does one choose just 13?? Well it doesn’t matter because this is MY list and I’m sticking to it!!
Ride off into the sunset, cowboy….you’ll be in our hearts forever!!
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others’ comments. It’s easy, and fun!
Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!
“Man it’s hot. It’s like Africa hot. Tarzan couldn’t take this kind of hot.”
Do you remember that line from the movie Biloxi Blues?? It’s one of the most famous lines from Matthew Broderick in that movie. It stands true for the land of Okies today as well. We’ve hit our summer “peek” and let me tell you, it’s HOT!! I kept an eye on my Weather Pixie yesterday and she peeked at 107 degrees. The forecast is for the same thing for the next 5-7 days. In fact, our forecast for today is 105 degrees. That just means that we’ll probably be hotter. Yes, hotter!! Our “coolest” days are supposed to be tomorrow and Sunday with a high of only 100 degrees. SHEESH Oh yes, you just have to love the “dog days of summer”!! We have a burn ban, heat advisory and the mold count is high. That sure makes for a miserable day for anyone outside.
Oh yes, did I mention that lean green is outside in this!?!? Everyday this week, he’s taking the poopies (privates) to the range. FULL gear!! Let me tell you, if this week doesn’t prepare these boys for Iraq, nothing will. Last time hubby was there, he saw 120 degrees. HA!! Let me just state, that was 120 degrees in the shade!! I just can’t help but to worry about him though. He’s too old for this crap. He’s so busy taking care of the poopies that he forgets to take care of himself. He’ll walk them over to the water buffalo and keep them hydrated, but that crazy man will walk away and not even think of himself. I’ve had to keep talking to him and reminding him that he’s on his last leg. He’s done his time and it’s alright to pass the reigns over to someone else. But no, he’s still in charge!! I love him for that, but it just drives me nuts!! (And trust me when I say, I don’t have far to go!!) Anyone want to wager a bet that he just comes home tonight, kicks his boots off and crashes where he is??
By the way, I just want to mention that this picture was taken in my backyard just for this post. I was looking and looking for pictures of the hot sun, but nothing struck my fancy. I said to myself, “well, why don’t you just go out there and get exactly what you do want”. (See, I told you I didn’t have far to go. Now I’m talking to myself!!) I did just that!! I might go out and try to take some more, but I was struggling. I didn’t have sun glasses on and my eyes were watering and the glare was terrible. I happen to think it turned out rather well though!! HEHE
If you want to keep track of just how hot it is in Oklahoma, just keep track of my Weather Pixie on the right hand side of the page. She updates regularly!! So tell me, how’s the weather where you are?? Just how hot is it?? Leave a comment and let me know what the weather is like around the world!!